Hampden DuBose Academy’s mission is to help students develop in the ways and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, lead them in the pursuit of academic excellence, and promote the development of knowledge, wisdom, understanding, and clear Biblical thinking.
The ultimate purpose of Hampden DuBose Academy – from its inception in 1934 to the current year – is given in the words inscribed on its seal “Mihi vivere est Christus – For me to live is Christ.” This is the reason for the existence of the school and the desire of each of its leaders, board members, faculty and staff. This is their prayer for every student who attends.
Hampden DuBose Academy seeks to achieve this purpose by training and helping young people develop in the ways and knowledge of the Lord Jesus Christ, to encourage them to have a personal relationship with Him as Savior, and to have Him abide in them as the living Lord.
HDA recognizes Jesus Christ as its foundation for being. Jesus is the source of all truth and one must know Christ before knowing truth. The Bible is man’s source for discovering truth and is the revelation of God to man. From Scripture we obtain knowledge about children and the teachers obtain direction, discernment, and insight into instruction with God’s perspective.
HDA is committed to the pursuit of academic excellence and is designed to promote the development of knowledge, wisdom, understanding, and clear Biblical thinking.
HDA recognizes and stresses the importance of a strong emphasis on the basics in English and Math. A thorough comprehension and command of all the fundamental processes used in communication through reading, writing, speaking, listening, and mathematics are stressed.
Athletics and social programs are a means to develop character and God-given talents. Regular physical education classes and outdoor play provide for the development and maintenance of physical fitness and promote wellness. Music and studio art programs provide for development in the arts.
The school believes that it is God’s command for parents to be responsible for the education of their children. The school may accept delegated responsibility from parents. For Christians, this education must be Biblical:
- All subjects have their origin and purpose in God.
- Learning takes place first internally and is then expressed externally.
- A view of who God is, who man is, and how man relates to and is governed by God, shapes every aspect of life - including school.
When parents are conscientious in the training of their children’s character in the Christian home, the school, as well as the local church, the community, and the nation as a whole will benefit from an overflow of blessings.
When the parents and the school do not work in tandem in their child’s training philosophy and methods, the chance of conflict between the school and home is high. Thus, parents need to be well aware of a school’s philosophy and methodology when selecting an educational institution so that they can support and work together whole-heartedly.
STATEMENT OF FAITH
- We believe the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, and infallible Word of God. Therefore, it is our sole norm for faith and practice.
- We believe that God is Spirit, infinite, personal, eternal, and unchangeable in His being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, grace, and truth.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, lived a sinless life and died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was physically resurrected to purchase a place in heaven for us which He offers as a gift, providing the only way of salvation for all men.
- We believe that God created man in His own image and in a state of innocence, but that through temptation man willfully transgressed. As a result, all human beings are born with a sinful nature, and the wages for sin is death.
- We believe in the church, the body of Christ, whose mission is to preach the gospel to the entire world.
- We believe that the ordinances of the church are important and vary from one denomination to another. We respect the right of personal differences in observation.
- We believe in the personal return of our Lord Jesus Christ the earth.
- We believe that those who are believers in Christ shall be forever in the presence of God and those who have rejected Christ will be separated from God forever.
In the spirit of Christian unity and love that Christ shows for all mankind, Hampden DuBose Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, national origin, or physical disability; however, the school does reserve the right to use appropriate selection criteria in fulfillment of its stated goals and objectives.